Microdermabrasion is a non-chemical, non-invasive therapy that, when used alone or in combination with surgery, facials, moisturizing treatments and chemical peels, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, crow’s feet, age spots, acne scars and other skin imperfections. It stimulates the production of skin cells and collagen. It has proven to be a very popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure. Physicians are also reporting that high patient satisfaction with the quick results of microdermabrasion has helped jump start patient compliance to an overall skin care regimen.
The treatment is delivered using an electro-mechanical device that gently abrades the skin surface using chemically inert micro-crystals and air suction. The Seattle cosmetic surgeon uses a hand-piece to direct a stream of crystals and mild suction exactly where needed on the patient’s skin. The gentle abrasive action of the crystals combines with the suction to exfoliate the epidermis while uncovering the smooth under-layer to promote a thicker, healthier dermis.
Benefits of Microdermabrasion:
- Virtually no side effects.
- Gives the skin an overall healthy-looking glow.
- Nonsurgical, safe, and effective “lunch hour” procedure.
- Effective on all skin colors and types.
- Excellent for skin sensitive to chemical procedures.
- Normal activities can be resumed immediately.
- No anesthetic required.
Contraindications Associated with Microdermabrasion:
- Cancerous skin tumors
- Patients on Accutane (isotretinoin)
- Certain keratoses
- Evolving dermatosis (skin rashes)
- Requires multiple sessions and maintenance treatments.
- Patients with good skin tone will show best results
- An individualized skin care program may be recommended to maximize results.