Who is a candidate for Male Breast Reduction?
- Men who have large breasts due to weight, genes, or glandular dysfunction.
- Men who have significant psychosocial stress due to the size of their breast.
- Men who have one breast larger than the other.
- Men who have used previous enhancing drugs such as steroids.
Intended results of Male Breast Reduction:
- To improve the contour of the breast by reducing size.
- To create a more harmonious upper chest look.
- To reduce the significant psychosocial stress that men feel due to large breasts.
Male Breast Reduction procedure description:
- After determining that the large breasts are not due to serious glandular or hormonal problems, Power Assisted Liposuction is used to aspirate the excess fat and breast elements. Often times, the glandular elements under the nipple are removed via a small incision under the areola.
- The 2-3mm scars are hidden in inconspicuous areas.
- Occasionally, a formal surgical breast reduction is needed in men who have very large and pendulous breasts. This is especially true in men who have lost a significant amount of weight.
- This outpatient procedure is done under general anesthesia.
Recuperation and healing following Male Breast Reduction:
- Post-operatively, patients use a special thin garment for 4 weeks.
- Minimal discomfort is associated with this procedure.
- Most patients are able to resume exercise in 3 weeks and return to work in 3-5 days.
- Although dramatic difference is seen immediately, some swelling persists for about 1 month.
Other options besides Male Breast Reduction:
- Liposuction of upper trunk and abdomen can be combined with male breast reduction to improve the appearance of the upper body as a whole.
- Dr. Egrari also performs breast surgery for women including breast lift, breast reduction and breast augmentation.
- The American Society of Plastic Surgeons offers information on Gynecomastia Reduction — http://www.plasticsurgery.org.
Visit our Gallery to view before & afters of our Male Breast Reduction procedure.